ridecamp@endurance.net: Starting The Older Horse

Starting The Older Horse

Janet Baca (bacaj@hotmail.com)
Thu, 01 May 1997 09:09:49 PDT

Hello Kathleen,

I started my mustang/quarter gelding out trail riding after sitting in
someone's corral for over 5 years. When I started doing LD rides, we
thought he was approximately 17 years of age until the vet aged him
at our first LD ride in Flagstaff,AZ and judged him to be between 20-22
years old. I asked him for his best guess and he said probably 22. At
that point he was extremely well conditioned from competitive rides we
had been doing (20 miles) and I was riding him up 6500' mountains along
with a lot of wash work. The problems I had with him was dehydration which
started as soon as I put him in the trailer to leave and P&Rs (respiration
checks in the NATRC rides were a little high). The dehydration was alleviated
some with electrolytes until I found Dynamite electrolytes and the last
LD we did with him he started with an A at the 17.5 mi point he was an A
and the finish he came in with a B. The stuff is outstanding! I started
giving him the electrolytes about 3 days before the ride. He finished his
first LD ride in 8th place at 3'15" and the only Quarter type horse among
20. Last year he placed first in heavyweight division of the Arizona Classic
NATRC ride with my friend Dean riding him in his first competitive ride.
Trigger sadly passed away this February at the age of 25 due to a blockage
and is sorely missed. We will never be able to replace him. But we had
many, many happy times with him and will always remember him in a great way!

outwestposse wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if anyone had any input on starting a 12 year old (Arab) in
> endurance. He has had minimal riding most of his life, but is very sound and
> correct and has a very good head.

> I am aware of how to condition him as if he were a starting 5 year old..I'm
> just curious about input on him being able to do 50's. I know most books and
> info. seem to say not to purchase an older horse for endurance, unless he has
> been a seasoned endurance horse; conditioned to do so. But, again...wouldn't
> it be OK to do LSD rides and some 50's as long as I train properly ?
>
> Thanks,
> Kathleen

Janet Baca
e-mail: bacaj@hotmail.com