ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Rules of the Road

Re: Rules of the Road

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:33:25 GMT

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:49:59 EST, you wrote:

>What
>happens if I am dismounted & leading the horse? Do I still have the
>right-of-way, or am I now expected to get off the road onto the shoulder
>somewhere?

I don't know the laws regarding this in PA, but I'm reminded of a poem:

Here lies the body of Julian Grey,
Who died defending his right-of-way.
He was right, dead right, as he sped along,
But he's just as dead as if he was wrong.

Most drivers will not know the "rules" regarding horses, either mounted
or led. Some drivers will not care. A few may be actively hostile, and
swerve at you, blow the horn, throw items, or worse.

It's good to know your legal rights, but the only safe course is to
assume the worst, and remember that in any collision between car and
horse or car and person, the car is not going to come out second-best.

I was once conditioning along a quiet country road in winter. My scarf
made it difficult to turn my head to look behind me, but I was still
riding with traffic (on a narrow shoulder). I heard a large vehicle
coming from behind, but as it was a long straightaway and there was
nothing in sight coming from in front I wasn't concerned. Then a
*SCHOOL BUS* roared by me right at the pavement edge, just inches away!
If Kahlil had shied we could have both been killed, just because the
driver didn't move over a few feet. Since then I ride facing traffic if
the shoulder is narrow, no matter what the law says.

Another example: the son of a well-known Southeast rider was killed
when struck in the head by the mirror of a truck, while he was riding
with traffic.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net