ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Arab Tails and ponying ropes

Re: Arab Tails and ponying ropes

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 18:15:06 -0800

Deanne Del Vecchio wrote:

> Every time I try to pony another horse off of Gabe's back, no matter how
> hard I try to keep the lead rope away from his tail, the rope will
> inevitably get caught under his high Arabian tail. Boy, does one wicked
> rodeo start then! He clamps his tail down so hard, that no amount of
> bucking will get the rope free. He ends up pulling it all the way
> through, and getting one really nasty rope burn under his tail!

Hi Deanne,

Just as a knee-jerk reaction, I wonder if this ties into what everyone
is discussing re desensitization. Maybe you could start out at home
getting Gabe used to a crupper and then go on from there 'til he was
used to ropes under the tail, so no more clamping/bucking/rope burns.
It seems to me that if he didn't consider ropes under the tail any big
deal, he won't clamp and start the rodeo. Wendy and kat and others
would probably have some good ideas about the specifics of doing this.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Susan