ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Everyone falls off once in a while, right?

Re: Everyone falls off once in a while, right?

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 07:47:03 -0600

At 09:52 PM 2/3/97 -0800, Rebecca Hackworth wrote:
>Does anyone else have stories of landing on their feet (or close there
>>after) before they even knew what was happening?

nope - never lucky enough to land on my feet but yes I have come off my fair
share - and the ratio of times off/times riding has increased since riding
Tony - the spookzilla of Arabs. I finally just decided to take it as a
challenge - I would know I was a real rider when I could ride him 50 miles :-)

I have always been lucky in that I have never sustained any real injuries
from coming off - closest I came to injury was last March. I was down in
Auburn for a conditioning weekend with Samm Bartee. Now, a little background
is in order. We had _only_ talked on the internet prior to my driving 4
hours down to camp for 3 days and learn how it's really done <g>. So...she
takes me out, all is well, I'm thinking I might just have what it takes to
do this sport when we came to a portion of the trail where there were 2
trees very close together in the trail and the trail went between and around
them - either way was very narrow.

We were cantering along (me in front and Samm behind) and I paid little
attention as Samm said, the trail's a little narrow up here, better watch
out...I mean, I had hung in there just fine so far right? I had a handle on
this endurance thing.....no need to heed warnings from a rider that just
about lives on that trail.....

Well... you know what's coming - Tony, for once, didn't spook - we just
decided too late which way we were going -around or through. As it turned
out, he went around and I went SMACK!, temple (thank you Troxel), wrist,
hooked the inside of my right knee on the tree, was pulled out of the saddle
and landed in a heap on the other side of the trail. Tony of course kept
trotting down the trail till he realized he was alone. Samm and Revel had to
engage the ABS to keep from running over me since I wasn't on my horse that
was 50 yards down the trail.

After making sure I was okay we all laughed till we just about cried - I'm
sure it was funny to watch <she says almost a year later>.

Yes I got back on - had to ride crooked rest of the way home. Rode the next
day too - after all I had trailered 4 hours down there!

Fortunately all that came out of that was one hellaciously big, fat, black
and blue leg from mid-thigh to mid-calf and a sore wrist.

Samm apologized all weekend too for taking a prospective endurance rider out
and running her into a tree :-)

Tina
Huntsville, AL
hickst@nichols.com