Re: [RC] RE: PICS: Crushed Heels

>>I think this may explain in part why we all struggle
to make sense of this whole geometry.  I think we're
speaking in two different languages, and that
unfortunately they have words in common that mean
different things to each of us.<<

>>First: I think where you say "toe height" I (and
most farriers I converse with) would say "toe length".
 As far as I know, that's the accepted industry
jargon.  I'm not exactly clear what you mean by "toe
length".<<

Ok, so toe height (vertical) for me is the distance
from the coronary band to the ground, following the
ventral wall of the hoof.  Toe length, for me, is the
length of toe from the apex of the frog to the edge of
the toe wall as measured from the bottom of the hoof
(other wise known as breakover).

>>You know what else would be nice, Karen, if you can
get it, is pictures  of the hoof landing.  I trim to
static balance, in general, but more important to me
is how the hoof flies and lands.  I seek a VERY light
heel-first landing in motion, on both fronts and
hinds.<<

I'll try to get this.  Roy seems to land fairly flat,
possibly just slightly heel first.   I have to say
that has changed since pulling shoes.  He use to land
more heel first with shoes on.

>>(Hinds ... now there's a subject we haven't even
touched!)<<

Yep, hinds are definitely a more complex subject!
And, the movement on his hinds is radically different
than before!  His hind feet issues are actually what
brought me to this trimming method in the first place.
 We'll have to have that discussion on another
thread.............or possibly offline unless everyone
wants to hear it :-)

>>Okay, now speaking of breakover:  #1, what do you
use as the benchmark for breakover point?<<

On my own horse I would only use x-rays.  With my vets
help, we marked the apex of the frog with a piece of
metal, then took a lateral x-ray.  Then, we measured
1/4" in front of the coffin bone tip (after it was
ground parallel) and marked that.  Then we took the
measurement from the apex of the frog to the point
1/4" in front of the coffin bone and that was 1".
Using the same protocol on the rears, they came out to
1 1/4".  On client's horses, if they  absolutely won't
get x-rays, I use the top 1" of growth below the
coronary band on the ventral wall of the hoof.  I draw
an imaginary line from there to the ground as seen
from the lateral side of the hoof.  Where it
intersects the ground/hoof wall is where I dub the
toes back to.

>>and #2, do you float the hoof wall at the toe &/or
quarters?<<

I *have* been floating the hoof wall and the toe to
encourage a quicker breakover while trying to get more
height in the toe area of the sole.  However, I won't
be doing that anymore because we have the height I
needed.  I do float the quarters.  I believe that the
hoof in a natural state has only 3 points of full
weight bearing, those being the heels (2) and the toe
area of the sole (not the hoof wall at the sole).  The
quarters and frogs are secondary support.  The
quarters expand on full weight bearing.  If you don't
float them, when the horse is working on hard
ground,the hairline will raise in those areas.
Eventually, the quarters will chip and crack which
effectively does the same thing as my floating them,
but not so attractively :-)  Also, the whiteline in
those areas can become compromised from the leverage
on the wall if it's not floated in the quarters.
However, floating is not near so important on a soft
hooved breed (Belgium, Clydesdale, etc) that is
working on soft ground.  So, to say I float quarters
on every horse is not true.

karen