RE: [RC] behavior and exersice levels

As others have mentioned, the amount of turnout time has a lot to do with
that "Fresh" behavior.  But part of it could be spring.  Both of my mares
have needed a month or so of steady riding after the winter slowdown (NOT
layoff) to get most of their brains back.  Rode Fog, my 8 yr old Anglo-Arab
tonight for about 45 minutes.  Now you have to understand that we have been
out on the trails every weekend for the last month, and it's not as if this
horse hasn't been everywhere and done lots of stuff.  But tonight, she
spooked at my dog, and assorted other stuff every time we went around the
arena for the first 15 minutes.  She just felt like being bratty, because she
wasn't really in the mood to work in the arena.  She's quite athletic, so
it's always fun for the first little bit, she spooks sideways, bogs her head
and crow hop, threatens to buck, spooks and spins--you name it, anything to
convince me.  The thing that makes it fun is that she's a smooth horse to
ride, even her jumps and spooks are fairly smooth.  My other mare (Arabian)
used to take a long time to settle in, I'd just lunge her with lots of
direction and gait changes til she paid attention to me before I got on.
Probably saved some skin and a few bones.

One thing I have noticed is that Fog is much more likely to act up if I use
the dressage saddle on her than in the endurance saddle.  We have a couple
issues with the dressage saddle until she reaches a certain weight and level
of fitness, so I only use it for short periods until she gets to that fitness
level.   So you also might think about any changes in body shape, such as
more fat or different muscling from being in most of the time.  Could be
partially a saddle fit issue.  Few saddles are a perfect fit, then as soon as
you find one that is, you ride more, the horse gets fitter and changes shape,
Voila--it doesn't fit as well.  Anyway, good luck with your program.  jeri