Ramp vs Step

Terry said:

>...the big problem is LEAPING over the ramp...

The one time I had trouble with a horse leaping over a ramp
from a trailer (actually, it was a van), it turned out to be because
I had put "fuzzies" on his halter noseband.  It was acting like a
shadow roll, and the horse literally couldn't see what was at his
feet, including the ramp.  He was following me on blind faith,
leaping from what looked like to him a 3' cliff.  No fuzzy, no
leaping.  Just a thought.

Ramps seem to be a cultural thing.  The "English-style"
disciplines seem wedded to their ramps, while the "Western-style"
disciplines always have step-ups.  So, if you buy an
"English-style" straight-load (i.e., not a stock-style trailer),
they always come with a ramp.

I had always used ramps and considered them a must (English-style
background) until I happened into my used 18' gooseneck stock trailer
with step-up.

I'd never buy a ramp again.  They seem to be nothing more
than something else to scare the horse.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net
Massachusetts, USA