Really Important Question

From:   Kris Givens [mailto:givensb@prodigy.net]
Sent:   Friday, October 19, 2001 9:06 AM
To:     Ride Camp
Subject:        RC:  Really important question

Ok, I know someone here who does rides has some help for me on this one:

I love my morning coffee.  However, the two rides I've attended do not
have electricity so my coffee maker won't work.  How do I perk coffee on
a Coleman stove?  Also, what sort of contraption do I need to get to do
this?

I just know I'm so much more human and ready to ride if I have coffee
versus the brewed tea I carry in the cooler first thing in the morning.

Kris and Nyke and Kolter

I can live without coffee as easily as I can live without beer.  It's that important.  And even though I live in a tent at the endurance rides, I have found a way to make really great coffee quickly.  Everything you need is at Wal-Mart, and it will set you back about 33 bucks. (23 bucks for the burner and ten for the coffee percolater).

Get the gas burner, the two burner one is preferred if you want to cook a little, but one will do if all you want is coffee.  It hooks up to those 16oz. propane gas containers.  I've had mine for quite awhile and it perks up in less than ten minutes, as long as it isn't below freezing outside.

And you'll need one of those old fashion percolating camping coffee makers; also, at Wal-Mart.  Using it will remind you of the good ole days when Joe DiMaggio was still playing baseball and not out selling coffee makers.  No, I'm not that old, but I think Jim Holland is.

Cold weather does slow you down, and the thing ain't easy to light on a windy day, but other than that it's the way to go.  Forget that electric stuff unless you have a camper and are running everything inside on a GENERATOR or shop at garage sales with Susan Kasemeyer.

And when you buy the coffee, don't forget to grind it up yourself and put it on the perk setting.  Most grocery stores still have that setting on their machines.  Anything else might be too fine and some of the coffee grounds will get in where  you don't want it to be unless you're from Louisiana.

I just got back from Far Out Forest, first time they've had a ride in October, and we all had a great time.  Glad to see we sent a few of our men on foot into Afghanistan for a trial run while I was gone; they make us proud.  I did get a few folks to sing that ole Taliban song with me, but it didn't last as long as I wanted cause they could only handle so much of me singing.

I'll try and write about it a bit, the wife did finish her second 25 and she even top tenned and went up for BC.  It was quite funny watching Truman weigh her in with the tack and all.  He had that look on his face, as he looked at the scale, which read, "No kidding!" haha

cya,
Howard