Little Manistee/Part 2

Miles 25-38 were much better, even pace, horse that listened and responded.  That hour rest did wonders for his brain.  Very little for my pain!!  The last 12 miles were mostly at a walk.  After we left the vet check, Malik just wanted to walk for which I was grateful.  I didn't care if we did walk all the way...it actually gave me some time to do some wildflower and bird identification and a chance to enjoy the scenery with the different greens and silvers and reds of the budding trees.  The last 5 miles Malik suddenly perked up and decided it was time to get a move on.  We did trot and even canter a little bit but when he did his jigging routine which means he wants to go faster, I couldn't handle that.  It hurt too much.  My daughter with her faithful little horse, Max stuck with us the whole way (though she did announce to me about mile 35 that she was done and wanted to go home now!).  :)  She was in a car accident and hurt her shoulder in February and it started bothering her on the 2nd half.  So, we were both content to mosey and enjoy what was left of the ride, even at a walk.  Fortunately, it warmed during the day and the sun shone and it was very enjoyable.  And so, we finished dead last (thanks for the applause and cheering by the bonfire, folks!!) but with horses in great shape...I do believe Malik could have gone back out and done it again (but not with ME).  The vet thinks he's perfectly ready to do the 100 at Grand Island...I am NOT.  I want to be but I don't think I could.  I am simply not ready yet....funny though how endurance riding is kind of like childbirth...after awhile the memory of the pain lessens and you look forward to doing it again. This is what I learned... just when I think I am doing pretty good and feeling pretty smug about how "ready" I am for a given task, I find out otherwise (though I do admit I hadn't counted on the first 25 miles being so tough).  #2, Malik needs more training and I think the only way I can achieve that is by going to the rides and riding them!  Definitely need something with more control during at least the first 25 miles.  Though he's an angel at home (I also ride him in a sidepull at times) and was good last year when we rode LD, this year he is stronger, fitter and even more competitive.  He has the athleticism and heart to achieve success in endurance, now if we can just teach him to pace himself....he ate and drank fabulously all day.  Steve Halstead said he had the best gut sounds he had heard yesterday.  His CRI's were 16/13, 15/13 and the final one was 16/17 which we think was because Jenny took Max back to the trailer before we were done vetting.  He still has to learn though and Max won't be with him all the time.
Stay tuned for the rest of the story...