Re: Selenium problem

<  At that time I cut her back to 14 (from 28) mgs of Se, and upped her
Vit.E
to 5000 IU, as well as supplying her with methionine (2800 mg)>

I have been told that 20 mg./daily over a prolonged period of time can
actually cause SE toxicity and I have also read that TOO MUCH SE can
actually show up in blood tests as a DEFICIENCY...I believe I read this a
couple of years ago on a list in England. In fact, if I remember correctly,
the lady who posted her story had gone so far as to give her horse SE shot
after SE shot and in effect killed her horse by overdoing it.  I cannot
find the source of this information (have been looking for a couple of
hours now...as I said it was a couple of years ago).  However, our
nutritionist is the one who gave us the "20 mg" figure...I feed 4-5
mg/daily and about twice that during ride season. I also supplement with
1200 IU Vitamin E (increased proportionately with the SE).  This year I
plan to test for selenium levels (never did get to it last year) and will
see how this regimen is working for us.  So, can someone shed some light on
the subject of safe selenium levels?  Our nutritionist actually had a fit
about the 4-5 mg (their supplement supplies all a horse needs...but their
supplement is not meant for endurance horses!!!) but I also know his job is
to sell his company's products!  He gave me the figure of 20 mg as too much
grudgingly!  :)

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.