Re: RC: head carriage for arabs

Dear Carla
Not sure what you mean by an arched neck in that the neck can be arched
and head carried high, like an English horse, or low, like a western
horse. Arch can be nice when horse is "collected INTO" the bit or not
good when horse is OVERBRIDLED or BEHIND the bit. I watched Donna work
with my Stacie on Halyva Guy to help him stretch out his neck; he still
had a gentle arch. So, what I would advise is some workshops with Donna
Snyder-Smith or Tellington-Jones or any of their followers or offshoots
so that you can learn more about the correct posturing so that your
horse is using its back muscles. If arch means your head carriage is
high, that is not really conducive to trail riding, but appropriate in
some classes in the show ring. The way a horse carries his head is the
difference between a very sore back at the end of a ride and a well
balanced horse. The simple use of a martingail without understanding how
to set the head or get a horse to get under himself and push from the
behind is not going to do you much good, although it will keep an unruly
horse from "throwing " his head. There are many ways to use a martingail
and many ranches I know of (including Sheila Varian's) never send a
rider out on one of their horses without one (except in classes where
they are not appropriate or western). Some dressage riders have told me
they see them as poor replacements for good hands. The main thing is to
not get opinions on whether or not to use a martingail but rather on how
to help your horse get into the proper body mechanics to make your ride
comfortable for the both of you. Hope this helps. PS- velcro sound like
a plan if you're worried about the need to have separate reins; whatever
it takes to make you feel secure so that your horse will feel secure.
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!