Re: RC: cleaning the barn??

I agree with Bette about wearing a mask.  Also wet cleanup (spraying
everything done so there is no dust) is safer.  I work for a local Health
Department in Environmental Health, our emphasis is on diseases people can
get from animals.  Salmonella from fowl, also psittacosis (the one Bette was
talking about) usually not a problem in chickens.  Rabbits carry tularemia,
but more likely in wild than domestic rabbits.  Another thing to be concerned
about is mice.  If you see mouse droppings, absolutely for sure use a mask
and do wet cleanup.  A chlorine/water solution will only work if ALL organic
matter (manure) has been removed.  It is a surface disinfectant only, will
not penetrate through organic matter.  There are cleaners called quaternary
ammonium compounds that are very good disinfectants, and will also kill the
cause of psittacosis (chlamydia).  Read the instructions before using them.
You might consider laying down lime before you spread the dirt, just because
horses will dig and wear down the dirt to the old level in places.   I'd have
to go through my files at work to come up with more specific info on
potential problems housing horses in an ex-chicken and rabbit house.  If you
write back, I will try to look on Monday.  jeri