Re: RC: Toddlers

In a message dated 10/10/00 2:05:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< A situation where now a child has been traumatized by the Powers that
 Be - seeing his dad treated as if he was an abuser was NOT a pretty picture
 for the kid.  ("How did this happen, son?  Did your daddy maybe twist your
 arm?  Does your daddy hit you?"  Give me a break!) >>

Hi Lif!  When I was a kid I had this really horrible case of poison oak
(caught it by hugging a beagle who like to wander) and my face was swollen,
blistered and oozing on one side.  My mom took me to the ER and they decided
that SHE had burned me (it did look like a bad burn).  I was 9 years old and
got hysterical when they wouldn't let me see my mom.  They wouldn't release
me into her care and basically grilled her for several hours while I got
progressively more hysterical.  Finally, they called my dad and he went nuts
when he got to the hospital (hysterical wife and daughter needed help!).
They were convinced that she hadn't burned me and we all went home.  It was a
horrible experience and one that I'll never forget.  All that being said, I'd
still rather err on the side of protecting a child who does NEED protecting
than over protecting one who doesn't.  For every kid like me (and your
nephew) who had loving, protective parents, there are others out there who
need strangers to look out for them.  NOT THAT I"M SAYING the toddler rider
thing was an abuse situation.  Just relating my story.

Sylvia (I'm off to the Grand Canyon so if this post ticks you off -- neener,
neener :)))