Gut sounds at vet checks

I have been trying to sort the grain from the chaff in the Carbo info.
Between duplicate posts,  multiple forwards,  sometimes seem to get answers
before questions,  and overlooking some extraneous comments,  some of it is
making sense.  Wish there was a way to get just the plain info in proper
order.

Not sure my comments and questions fit here but will throw it out and see
what comes back.

It has been my experience that a horse's gut sounds will be pretty active at
pre-ride checks,  also at checks into or beyond the half-way point (on 50s)
and then take a spell of being very quiet.   Often by the last check they
will be more active again.   All other parameters will be good, and the
horse feels fine.  Post ride,  gut sounds are ok  and return to active mode
fairly soon, especially if the horse is taking in plenty of feed and water.

Horse has not been asked to run with the front runners, just middle of the
pack,  showing no stress,  just done a days work.   I see this in my horses
and others.

How do you think this fits in with using up stores of energy of all kinds?
Where would the Carbo supplements fit here?
Horse is usually fed free choice hay,  often choice of two kinds, some grass
hay, timothy hay, alfalfa-grass, or plain dryland alfalfa, whatever is
available on travel days and at the ride.   Home feed is some hay with
pasture all the time except when at rides.   Grain is usually plain whole
oats, usually not more than 3 # a day, with sloppy bran, few carrots,  and
some electrolytes at stops.  Post ride grain will be oats and some bran,
sloppy,  several small feeds,  up to maybe double or triple usual amounts
till Mon or Tues after rides.  Horses always hold their weight.

Conditioning is not to any set plan,  but the horses are all old seasoned
campaigners.

Have had no tie-ups,  or pulls for any metabolic reason,  one for lameness.
This has worked for my horses for years.

Why have I not had all the problems that hit so many of us?   What makes
this work for me?
Why does this work?  I know it is way off base from what most people do  but
it has put me 7000+ miles on 4 unlikely horses.   What do you think?

Dot Wiggins

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Wiggins;Dot
FN:Dot Wiggins
TEL;HOME;VOICE:2083552326
ADR;HOME:;;PO box 95;Midvale;Idaho;83645;USA
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:PO box 95=0D=0AMidvale, Idaho 83645=0D=0AUSA
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:dotwgns@cyberhighway.net
REV:19991226T001222Z
END:VCARD