RE: psyllium

On Saturday, January 09, 1999 10:25 AM, OasisArab@aol.com
[SMTP:OasisArab@aol.com] wrote:
> We use Sand Clear 99 (psyllium) and have for the last 2 yrs on a gray
that use
> to sand colic and we have not had 1 colic since we started it. We give
him
> about a cup twice a week. So I think in our case the psyllium does work.
Maybe
> not for all but certainly ours.
> Bill P.

OK, my next pet peeve is how much money people give away wasting it on
psyllium.  I live in deep sand, feed off the ground and have not had one
speck of sand in their stool tests ever!  Wanna know why?  Because if you
all recall horses were meant to be grazing animals, meaning they have
forage to eat all day long.  We humans turned around and started feeding
them like our pet doggies 2 times a day and nothing in between.  Well their
gut is supposed to be kept moving all day from grazing, if in this ideal
situation your horse while eating long stemmed hay all day long will move
what ever sand he picks up back out of his system. On horses who are fed
only twice a day with no free choice hay what do you think happens to the
sand they are picking through for that last piece of hay?  It all settles
down in their intestines and doesn't get moved through their system by an
active gut and intestine, you get sand colic.  Feed them free choice long
stemmed hay all day long and you won't need psyllium no matter where you
live.

If I recall Susan G once wrote that it would take a pound or more of
psyllium to actually move the sand out of their systems.  Correct me if I
am wrong Susan.

Ok my finger is poised and ready to hit the idiot key now!!! <VBG>

                                  Cheryl Newbanks
~~~          ~~  ^ ^        SW Region
~~~\      _~~/  /\ /        Buckeye, AZ
       (   ) _ _   ) ' '        horsetrails@inficad.com