Re: Winter sweat management

Teddy's post reminds me of the finest horse blanket I have ever purchased.
It is a Bugbee; made in Ireland, I believe.  Not only is this blanket the
toughest thing I've ever purchased; being on it's third year of turnout
activity without so much as a tear (unheard of in my personal experience!),
it works on the same concept as the double cooler routine.  It's designed so
that it can be placed on a wet horse to keep it warm, yet wick away
moisture.  The horse is dry in about 1 hour.  Only drawback, there is no
coverage for the neck as there would be with the coolers; however, you can
get a hood to go with it.  I like using the blanket after rides when the
horse is ready to be turned out but still damp due to a winter coat.  The
blanket isn't cheap... I may have paid as much as $200 for it.  But, no
repairs and it still looks practically new and this was with two years spent
on a partially clipped horse who wore it 24/7 for the entire winter.  Also,
the blanket is not bulky and fits quite nicely in a home washing machine.

DISCLAIMER:  I don't work for Teddy and to my knowledge she does not sell
Bugbee blankets.....  She might sell coolers though (shame on you for
mentioning them Teddy)   ;)

Susan Swope
AERC SE Region
Kentucky

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves -
strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us
escape from our mundane existence.
                                                     Pamela Brown, b. 1928