wants to be first

One of my endurance books - I think it might be Donna Synder Smith's  -
has a game where each of the horses goes first for a specified distance.
Then the horse at the back of the line passes all the other horses and
goes first. The leader keeps getting passed by the last in line horse
until all the horses have a turn to be first, last and in the middle.
The author suggests it as a game that teaches horses a number of things
- you will get a chance to be first, you don't get to be first forever
and it is ok to be passed  - no kicking or crowding allowed.

I Stasia