Re: training

At 01:11 PM 3/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Barbara,
>	hmmmm.... 4-6 days a week....what distance do you do on your longest day?

        Sorry for dumb answer -- most days a 40-45 minute max work (remember
I have some GOOD hills in my pasture), but at 6+ MPH for total work unless
I'm working on low, relazing movements.  Longest??  15 - 20 at good rate
between "Trims" during a "Trot and Trim" at Biltmore.

>You started your horse on a 3-day 100 as his first ride?!?! amazing!
        Yep -- BUT this IS the 10th horse I've prepared for 100's in 35 years.

        HOWEVER -- I DID "safety" a two day NATRC 50 mile ride at 5 MPH 1
1/2 months before the 3 day 100(sure helped the "fried brains" problems --
he FINALLY learned a little patience.)

        AND -- I DID "safety" portions of a one day AERC (30 miles) 50 3
weeks before the 3 day 100 -- Helped a horse trying to tie up in first six
miles which put me so far off pace that I waited out the second 10 mile loop
and rejoined the 50's following the third 15 mile loop.  Decided that he'd
done well, learned a lot and because I had plenty of consistent "history" it
was time to stop for the day.  Besides, my husband had promised me a steak
and shrimp dinner (he's a fantastic cook) if I got home in good time!

>LoisC
>NH
>(taking my 3rd shot at getting through NY 100 with a 14 year old)
>Lois Crowley

        NOW -- NY 100 is a bit different.  How IS the mud?? Still there??
(only the Ohio 3 day 100 -- no longer run as far as I know -- had "BETTER"
mud!!!
        Do you still all gather on the race track in the morning -- I used
to love that sight in the early sun light, the dew twinkling --

        Do you still go through the covered bridge??  In early '80's I rode
my husband's now 24 year old gelding and thought I'd never get him through
that bridge -- someone had repaired the deck with a piece of plywood that
had a knot hole that was black with pitch.  NO WAY was that horse going to
pass that HUGE (2") spot -- for the rest of Ridecamp, in ECTRA one may not
make forward progress on foot.  We finally had our "lead" -- a charming MULE
who just went right by putting my horse to shame sufficiently for me to get by!!

        I hope to make it back to NY 100!!! It's easy to see why it has a
waiting list!!! Wonderful people!

Barbara