Re: Weapons

Okay, I finally had to jump in! I, too, have had a 'close encounter' while
on horseback. I was riding with some friends (my friends were running-not
riding) and they were all ahead of me so as not to have to worry about fresh
'obstacles' on trail. We were in a well frequented section of state-owned
forest in a small college town in SC where many people would go to
ride/run/walk. We were coming up to a trail intersection and I saw a person
standing off to one side. As I came up to where the person was, I heard my
name called, so I stopped and looked around. This rather unsavory looking
fellow stepped up to my mare and grabbed her bridle! He started making
comments that I WON'T repeat, and scared the beejeebies out of me! I kicked
my mare HARD and she ran right over him and took off down the path. I was
shaken, but okay. If I had been carrying a weapon, it would have been in my
pack. To reach it, I would have had to turn around, unzip my pack, find it
(uh, right - in there?!), and then point it at this unsavory fellow...
Somehow, I doubt that he would have stood by patiently waiting for me to
find my weapon! As Cathy said, the somebody getting hurt would more likely
be me. I think that awareness and a well-trained horse are your best defense
on trail! Leave the weapons in the truck...

Just my 2$ worth (inflation, you know)!

Stephanie Wind