Re: Relocating to the SE Region

We will
>be living in the Florence area of northern Alabama.

Forget the horses, worry about yourselves...you'll live within 2 hrs.
drive of ME!  :-))

>advise available to ease the transistion for the horses from dry /
>arid to wet / humid.  Are there any secrets to getting the horses use to
competeing in the humidity?

I highly recommend that you go REALLY slow for the first few years and
let the locals continue to finish in front of you.  Then, when you notice
yourselves beginning to talk like US, you're ready to make your move.
However, by that time, I expect you to have discovered all the trails in
the Florence area and started putting on a ride for us to enjoy in that
area instead.

My best advise is to ignore those people who claim that the humidity is
at its highest early in the morning.  Do your training EARLY, then be
inside in front of an airconditioner with a big glass of Diet Coke by 10
AM in the summer.  Do not venture out the front door until after 6:30.

Your horse needs a shed...not stall...shed, so that if by any chance a
breeze ever happens to come up, he'll get to enjoy it.  A fan is nice,
because it gives the flies turbulence and if they're going to land on
your horse and bite him, they should at least have to prove themselves
worthy.

Florence, AL...hmmm, ever heard of TORNADO ALLEY?  If you notice that all
those houses seem to have concrete block bunkers out back...that ain't a
root celler!  Another good reason for sheds instead of barns is that you
can build them back faster...of course some of those sheds used to be
barns.....

Please come to the Longstreet's Charge ride (just outside Chattanooga).
That's my ride.  We'll give you and your horses first hand lessons in how
to sweat buckets....but then, we Southern ladies don't sweat...we GLOW.

Angie

Angie McGhee & Kaboot
Wildwood, GA
Rides2far@juno.com
Kabootnme@aol.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]