ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Premier 100 on east coast

[endurance] Premier 100 on east coast

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:50:03 -0500 (EST)

Dave wrote about the Biltmore ride:

> ..... They want - if it is not already
> - to make this the premier 100-mile ride in the East and hold space to get as
> many 100's as possible.

I have not yet been to the Biltmore ride (will be attending for the
first time this year), but I know the Old Dominion 100 ranks HIGH on
my list for premier 100 mile East coast rides. It would be hard to
top the ruggedness of the terrain and weather that tests some of the
nation's top riders each year at the OD. (Also - OD does not limit
the riders who may attend since they are blessed w/ a wonderfully
large base camp. You may enter the day before the race at vetting in
- a nice option if you are trying to peak more than one horse, or are
uncertain if your horse will be ready in time for whatever reason.
My horse died in surgery the week before the OD in 1995 - they were
very kind about letting me bring my husband's horse and switch to the
50 at the last minute!)

I once asked Susan Gibson (editor of Trail Blazer & manager of ROC)
if she would ever consider using the OD trail as her ROC course. She
stated that the combination of weather & terrain would be too
grueling for too many of the competitors!! She wanted a higher
completion rate than the OD course would allow.

I look forward to the Biltmore's scenery and amenities, but they will
have to convince me that they can top the Old Dominion for a true
test of the 100 mile horse & rider team.

Any other comments out there from somebody who has done them both?

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"