ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] 25 milers

Re: [endurance] 25 milers

Pam Haynes (phaynes@RMCI.NET)
Thu, 31 Aug 95 06:03:21 -0500

-- [ From: Pam Haynes * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Well said. I have done literally dozens of short rides and a few 50's,
nothing longer. I have been riding the same horse all these years, and we
still continue to complete despite her navicular. She is now 17 and still
raring to go. I am very proud of the fact that this horse is still chugging
on down the trail. We have never won a ride and in fact are often among the
last finishers.

Some of my main reasons for sticking with the 25s are as you stated,
particularly with respect to lack of time for conditioning for 50's. I
don't think us 25ers should be looked upon with scorn or pity and indeed, as
someone else stated, we are often the bread and butter of the smaller rides.
Locally our rides often include a trail ride of 8-12 miles and those riders
often help a ride at least break even. The trail riders have a great time
and we are exposing non-endurance types to our sport and showing them we
aren't all completely psycho <g>.

One last word about distance: Karen Steenhof managed a night ride last
summer, which had a modest showing of 25's and 50's. Her 9 mile trail ride
attracted 91 riders. This year our local club said to heck with the
endurance ride and sponsored just the moonlight trail ride. We had 124
riders and *cleared* over $1,000. There may be no glory in trail riding but
it sure padded our bank account this year!