ramps vs. step up

I have a trailer I have had for over 10 years and it has a ramp. I never knew it was "so European", nor do I care..  I think because of the particular manufacturer (G&F) this trailer is so heavy duty, and the ramp is strongly spring loaded, I can lift it with a finger. In fact need to watch the speed it closes so it doesn't slam. I too have known of a couple of horses that stepped back out of trailers and scrapped their legs on the trailer. It is good that they are now making them with the rounded rubber covered padding.  I do not have a problem unloading on uneven ground, the horses just do it. Even if it wiggles a little. Guess that comes from their show backround. (And it was western and english so they are very confused)
    I think for trailers it is more important that a person invests in a trailer that has a size suited for the type of animal they wish to haul. For instance, if I am gonna haul mini's I guess I better get a smaller trailer that they can be safely secured in. If I am gonna haul a 16 hand mule (been there and done that) it is nice to have a trailer that can contain their great size without smashing their poor head every time they enter the trailer. (seen that too)  I find it is helpful to have the trailer with a lot of light in in, so it's not like a dark cave, and ours is painted white inside to reflect light and make it bright. We have insulation on top to keep it cooler inside. I think ramps versus step ups are a personal preferrence and it doesn't really matter, whatever the horse and handler are comfortable with.  Just if you get a step up, make sure the back part of it is rounded and padded so they don't scrape all the hide off their leg if they make a misstep.
   Beth