<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] when a horse trips...
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:33:07 GMT 2003
  • - toriandsteve
  • - Karla Watson

    Re: [RC] when a horse trips... - Truman Prevatt

    How many people have a reaction time fast enough to hit a Randy Johnson fast ball. Not many but a batter has 450 msec ( 1000 msec =  1second) to react to a 100 mph Randy Johnson fast ball.

    Now if a horse trips and is falling to his knees, it will take him about 250 msec before he hits his knees. That gravity plain and simple. Thats just a little over one half the time to hit a 100 mph fast ball. Hmmmmmmmm............. how many people can react react fast enough to hit a 100 mph fastball, must less react twice that fast to help their horses?  I would suspect that anything a rider does is much too late, the horse either recovers or falls despite what the rider does to "help." I would also expect that the horse needs his head to balance, there is very little the rider does that keeps him from getting his head - he's a hell of a lot stronger than a rider.

    So I would expect that despite all we think we are doing to "help" we are actually just making ourselves feel better.

    If you want to know how quick a horse is at regaining his footing, We were riding along once at a pretty good trot, a hole opened up and the ground gave way under his front foot (old gopher hole I suspect). He started to fall and I was pitched forward by my momentum. Before I even realized what had happened to try to get my weight upright, he had caught himself and was on his way back up. My body going forward and down and his going up made a nasty collision as I lay on the wondering just where the hell Mohammed Ali was hiding in the woods and what I'd ever done to him:-(. I stopped my nose bleed and fixed my bent glasses and got back on. Dan was sort of looking at me funny like, "hey why you down there." Of course with blood on my shirt and face we ran into every one we knew in the woods that day.

    Truman

    Alison Farrin wrote:
    On the other hand, if you are riding your horse from behind into your hand and he does trip, keeping your hand steady will allow him to lean on it to regain his balance - the "trip" in essence is smaller. FWIW, riding the horse into your hand will solve tripping problems related to balance, though not lameness.

    Alison A. Farrin
    Innovative Pension
    Innovative Retirement Services
    858-748-6500 x 107