Re: RC: Feeding/hay suggestions

Hi Jennifer,

My mares are here in Southern California also, and I will not feed them Alfalfa because of the high incidence of enteroliths.  My mares get Bermuda grass exclusively.  They are also being boarded.  I had an impaction with one mare last year, but I believe it was flu/? related as some new horses came in who were sickly and they put them right beside my mare (I was a little angry).  Anyway, I have never heard of Bermuda causing impaction but would like to hear other opinions.  I recently also ordered Buckeye Grass Plus mineral and vitamin supplement, made specifically for the grass only diet.  This company is new here (San Diego)but the rep seems very knowlegeable.

Judy in San Diego