Re: RC: RE: McLellan question...

on 11/13/01 4:45 PM, Marlene Moss at marlene.moss@wcom.com wrote:

> A Stonewall is probably pretty close to the direction of a McClellan.  It's
> light, minimalistic, but likely to be wider.  I had to remove the fenders on
> mine because I'm too short (5'2) so it's even lighter with just stirrup
> leathers.  It doesn't have a lot of surface area and some horses need more
> surface area regardless of rider weight it seems.  Mine works well on my
> gelding, but my mare hates it even though it looks like it fits her better.
> They're not that expensive either!

Wow! I'm going to have to disagree with the Stonewall being wider. I bought
one used and it fit nothing in terms of my horses. Not even the fairly
narrow Morab mare. I sold it for 175. However, I did like that it was light,
and I could feel everything my horse did under me. The seat was harder than
a rock-ouch!
Tiffany