Wintec and CAIR panels (long)

Hi all -

I know that I like to hear how other riders
like/dislike their tack, so thought I'd post about a
saddle that I've found happiness with (of course TIME
will be the true test). Last week I got my hands on a
Wintec Pro Dressage and a 500 AP, both with CAIR (air
filled) panels. I sent the AP back right away because
the stirrups were hung too far forward for me. I have
spent a lot of money on saddles, from OF to Sharon
Saare to Synergist, and hadn't found true happiness
for BOTH my horse and I with the same saddle. Well, it
looks like the $650 Pro Dressage just might be it
(fingers crossed). I put in the extra-wide gullet
(there's a gauge available so you can measure your
horse), did some pad experimenting, and put the setup
to the test this weekend while riding safety at an
NATRC ride. I was VERY comfortable and balanced in the
saddle (including going in and out of many ravines,
and lots of trotting). My horse's back looked and felt
great after several hours in the saddle in rough
riding conditions. There are very few Wintecs with the
CAIR system in the US right now (I was lucky and
stumbled onto those two- thanks Michelle!). Trumbull
Mountain tack (they're a new advertiser on Endurance
Net) has a few on hand and Dover and Stateline should
receive some in the next few months. For anyone who is
frustrated and looking, you may want to consider
giving a Wintec w/ CAIR a try. I looked down my nose
at them for a long time because they are synthetic,
but I am extremely impressed with the workmanship,
materials (mine is equisuede), and balance of the Pro
Dressage, and the CAIR panels really seem to flex and
move with the horse. AND, I wasn't fretting about
expensive leather as I rode in a two hour downpour
this morning! The only downside I see about the Wintec
system is that the extra-wide gullet (which is the
widest available) fits my Arab who is NOT that wide
(he's about a Saare CC for comparison). So, really
wide horses probably couldn't be ridden in a Wintec
comfortably. Oh, and the Wintec Endurance model isn't
available with the CAIR panels, yet anyway.
Kristi

=====
He's not just a horse,
he's a little bit of