RE: Re: Show and Tell

Title: RE: Re: Show and Tell

We have arena people that are riding 3 y.o. paints that look pretty mature.  I have a gawky
4-1/2 y.o. that looks and acts like a baby.  I’m not sure that starting this particular guy earlier
would have been a good thing, mentally or physically.  Some horses just mature faster than
others.  And this guy is so tall with a little bit long cannon bones, so I’m especially careful with him
so he doesn’t have biomechanical difficulties in the future.

I’m doing about an 1.5 – 2 hours of mostly walking and some intermittent trotting right now.
Our trot intervals are getting a little longer as he’s learning to balance himself with a rider.
We are also doing a lot of “discipline training” which entails riding him around the ranch while
Beau is back at the tie rack packing in some calories.  Cruel and unusual punishment for a
“hungry” youngster and he’s thrown some pretty good tantrums as I walk him by the tie rack.
(This is after his p.m. feeding)  But he’s learning that he can’t always have his way.  We’ll
trailer out tonight with “mom” and go for a trail ride.  I’m planning to do bigger group rides
in a month or so and do some passing games so that he gets used to be drafted by other
horses and still listen to me.

This fall I plan to take Drako to a LD ride – but I think that I will do much of it unmounted!

Yes, he’ll eventually be for sale because I’m eyeing a 2 y.o. grandson of my mare as a
more permanent mount, otherwise I probably wouldn’t be as ambitious with him as I am.
He’s a cutie, though and everyone loves him.

K.