fit to finish??

Stacy Berger stacy.a.berger@intel.com
I'll start this by saying I haven't ridden endurance for the past 5 years.
My horse died in his pasture the evening after a  successfyl 50 mile
competition, finish in the middle of the pack.  I reported it to the vets
the next day - and I lost my interest in the sport as I mourned the loss
of my longtime partner.  I am no longer an AERC member - so maybe my input
'doesn't count'.

That being said - it seems that the 'standard' of Fit to Continue has
changed.  There was a very public protest for a horse that was presented
at a ride with saddle sores.  I saw in a post earlier from an XP rider -
"There were a few saddle sores, and some other various ailments, that you
will see at any mutedly ride." -  are these acceptable to continue the
next day?

I wasn't at the XP, nor did I see any of it - but I know at most rides I
went to - a horse with an open saddle sore or other ailments would stop
(by the rider or sometimes the ride management)  It seems like the riders
at the XP all chose to look the other way?