Re: RC: Re: NATRC Swanton ride

>At 04:07 PM 7/23/2001 -0700, guest@endurance.net wrote:
>>Deanna German finishis2win@columbus.rr.com
>>>So, I slid my left leg over his neck and hopped down ......
>>>I could move my arms ok, just very sore to breath and
>>>so walked him the rest of the way down.
>>
>>I do not ride NATRC, so I don't know the rules, but didn't you  DQ
>>yourself by leading the horse down the hill?
>

>That is the first thing that I thought, but she is a Novice and probably
>didn't know any better at the time.  Wasn't it her first ride?
>
>Amber

A DQ is unlikely, but you are obligated to tell the judges what happened
and they will probably assess some penalty points.  I've hand walked over a
log on the trail because I expected my green horse would try to jump it and
there was a nasty down slope and she would land too close to the edge.  I
think I was assessed one point -- once I could make my report, since a
horse a few places behind me on the trail did exactly what I was afraid my
mare would do and everyone was very busy getting horse and rider back up on
the trail again!  One follows the rules but if safety concerns or accidents
mean you have to violate them, you take the penalty and get on with life.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky