Re: Use of restraint

In a message dated Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:29:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Michelle Fink" <michrowe@redwrench.com> writes:

<< This is a great point, Heidi.  I'd like to hear more about what restraints
you train your horses to accept and how you do it.>>

Personally, I think leg ropes are one of the most under-taught restraints going--not that they need to be used all that much, but because teaching a horse not to panic when a leg is trapped can be very vital to his well-being as a trail horse.  Once the horse is broke to tie, one can start with leg ropes by using a long cotton rope with a bowline around the neck, and just getting the horse to step over it with one hind foot so that the rope is between the legs.  One starts by gently touching the inner hind legs with the rope and eventually progresses to controlling each hind foot with it.  I like to teach about hobbles on the front legs for the same reason.  As for twitches and lip chains--if a young horse will let you hold his nose firmly without fighting you, you will be able to apply a twitch if need be.  And if he will let you handle his mouth, you can apply a lip chain.  I don't think you need to "teach" a horse about them by repeated use in routine situations--but you do!
 need to teach the basics of han
dling so that you can get them on.

Heidi