RE: Spurs and bits

There is nothing wrong with the correct use of spurs. In fact there is much
more potential for the misuse and harm by the incorrect usage of bits than
spurs. Bits have a tremendous mechanical advantage, unless it is a snaffle.

Spurs are like any other tool, used properly, they add function and safety.
The same can be said for bits, crops, cruppers, tie downs, and supplements.
All of these items also have the potential to be misused.

If you take the time to personally examine most spurs, you will find that
they are not sharp, do not poke holes,  and leave no scars, unlike poorly
fitted saddles.
As part of every vet check any misuse of spurs would be quickly spotted
noted by the vet.

Spurs like most tach, are a personal choice item. I ride a stallion and
cross bridges and roads. Safety is my number one concern for my horse, for
me , and for my lady and fellow competitors. Equipment does not cause abuse,
it is the rider or crew that is using it. I fully support sanctions on them
if warranted, but I defend your right to choose mechanical lever bits, curb
chains, tie downs, and shoeless horses in 100 mile competitions, along with
spurs.  If I see anyone misusing these tools, I have an obligation to point
it out, but the other 99.9999% of the riders and crew should have the right
to use them properly.

When you add money and international competition to a sport you add an
element of  potential misuse of equipment, at that level you may need
stricter rules to control the quest for money and sponsors.

I have mentioned a few controversial items here as support for the proper
use of all equipment.  The only position I am taking   on any of these
issues is that I believe that all equipment can be misused. We need to
constantly police that, to defend our sport. Spurs are only a tool. Used
properly they add safety. I have a stallion and two geldings. I ride all
three with spurs.

 What kind of factual data does anyone have on their misuse?  How many
riders have been sanctioned, notes on vet cards, ride manager reports?

  Fly masks look cruel to the uninformed.  I have had six different people
ask me why people keep their horsed blindfolded in the pasture?

Regards :  Roger