Update on mane mites.

OK Guys..
here's what worked.
Between my buddies in the area, we had 5 horses with mane mites
and they all had it about the same severity:
a quarter inch  wide strip of missing (and itchy) mane either just above the withers, or up
over the crest, on the under side of the mane;

Here's what didn't work:
Tea Tree Oil, AloVera, Head and Shoulders Shampoo, Fly and Tick spray, Horse
lice duster,  2% Miconazole powder (athletes foot powder)

Here's what did work:
2 aplications of Topical Quest 1 week appart,
Goodwinol Veterinary Ointment (1.25% Rotenone).. 2 applications 1 week appart.
The goop wasn't  washed out untill 2 days after the second application.
 use rubber gloves with each of
these products so YOU don't absorb any.

I've read that Seleen Shampoo (the animal variety of Selsun Blue) will also
kill them if the lather is left on 10 minutes... I'm going to buy some and wash the gelding's mane with that the rest of the summer and do it the first thing next spring.

Manes are growing back, and everbody's happy.. no one had their tails affected, I think we got it in time.

Barb