Re: RC: Insults--green acres is the life for me

Hey, Beth
You wouldn't be insinuating that a barn is in the "crappy" category,
would you?
When we moved out to New Cuyama (forced sudden move from extenuating
circumstances) we wound up moving into the barn apt when the town elders
accused me of being the town witch (Mark occasionally calls me a similar
name but this was a first). My teenage daughter had offered hip-hop
lessons free through Parks and Rec to the teens there because she felt
sorry for them-- nothing to do in the isolated town of 50 people (great
for us and the horses-- beautiful ranch--- but like prison to our kids).
When the elders came to the town variety show to see the cult dancing
(to indoctrinate them into my "covey", a story apparently started by our
town house landlord's crazy and bored girlfriend) and I found out about
why they were there from the town librarian-- well, the ranch sounded
good and we gave up the house in town. This is no story--- I expected
Kevin Bacon to show up any minute!!
The only downside to living in the barn is the flies----- REALLY hard to
eliminate but with the help of fly predators we kept the population to a
dull roar. They REALLY work!
The up side? We could sure hear any problems, foaling monitoring was
easy and less distance to walk to stall shoveling detail. And my kids
threatened to leave home unless we moved. We were tempted but..... :-)
I do have to say it is the closest I've ever come to being abandoned as
a result of my horses!
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov
(Yes, really 16.2!)
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com