Re: birds and the bees

Hi Shelly
Depends on the stallion--- and even his age. When Hal was younger he
wanted the mare OUT the minute She stopped putting OUT <BG>. Now the boy
is more mature and appreciates the company. During breeding season I
have to be careful because I don't want him to wear himself out. Funny
thing, this is first time I've left a mare in with him since he was
young. We usually put him into his paddock within the pasture at night
as he has a habit of getting feet caught in the no-climb despite the hot
wire. Last night we looked out and he was hiding in his pen (boy was
exhausted from breeding) and this morning he was still in there. We're
playing it by ear as to whether he wants her in there once she is out.
Our other stallion was ALWAYS in with one or two mares (who sometimes
fought over him) and was great whether they were in or out.
Jumper prefers his 27 year old gelding and we call it the gay caballero
pasture.
Good luck with your boy--- it is soooo individual.
PS The first mare we put in with Hal PW'd him unmercifully--- telling
him when to eat and from which pile. He took it until she went out then
bit her on the neck and told her there was going to be a new pecking
order and wanted her out of his pen.
The next mare was subservient during and after her heat cycle but Hal
just stopped socializing with her after she was out so we took her out
and he seemed happier. THe mare's personality has a lot to do with it.
The mare in with him now went out this morning and so far they still
really appear to enjoy each other's company. We shall see how it goes in
the long-run-- but then they are in a larger pasture than Hal has been
in before.
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov