Re: RC: How old is too old?

Amanda - Take the gelding!  You've heard from a few other campers to do so,
too.. I'd suggest the following:  Plan out a set route which you'd want to
cover in an hour under a good trot.  Include some hill work, up and down
(where are you may make a difference, of course), obstacles (rocks, trees),
and a water stop if possible.  Walk the gelding through the route, or very
light and little trotting.  Time his first couple of time, note his response
to the different terrain and challenges.  Gradually motivate him to improve
on his speed.

I've got a great route that, when the horse is in good shape, will take
under an hour; when we are not in shape, it takes longer, and that tells me
what we need to do, even gives me an idea how long it will take to get him
back up into competitive condition.  By competitive, I mean making a try for
top ten.  Otherwise, a ride has to be as a conditioning ride, not
competition.  (So far this year I've not had much opportunity to get to any
rides; there is always next year, and we do ride weekends now, for fun, and
for conditioning.)

If you use the same route, then you can judge his condition each time for
his response to the specific challenges it offers.  Once he is in good shape
and takes the route in an hour with no problem, extend it.

Of course it is fun to go out of the route, and try new areas, and we do
that to keep both of our interest up.  At 18, he still finds the great
outdoors full of adventures.  He's especially fun to ride a dusk.