Re: RC: generators

In a message dated 9/11/00 2:15:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<< One person gave me the tip that you can drop a little
 piece of a rubber tube in one and make it crank, suck up against the
 intake and shut off continuously...forever. They'd given that some
 thought. Others were considering a lynching. I've had someone leave one
 running right by my horse all night....love the way they bring a long
 cord to get it as far as possible from themselves. >>

A couple of years ago we had gone up to Robie Park for the start of the Tevis
a few days earlier than normal.  We camped on the edge of this beautiful
mountain meadow.  We were the first to arrive and gradually more people came
and camped beside and in the meadow.  It became like a little neighborhood
and we all were enjoying each other's company.  On Thursday a big rig pulls
in and the people (a man and 2 young girls) start setting up camp.  Several
of us mosey over and welcome them to the "neighborhood".  This guy then
proceeds to set up a really big, noisy, stinky generator.  He turns it on and
it sounds like a semi-truck is idling in "our" meadow!  Everyone was annoyed
and irate about it.  We kind of held a meeting at my campsite and I was
elected to ask him how long he was going to leave it on.  Well I asked him
and was told that it would run until their rider left camp Saturday morning.
When I told the "neighbors" this they were truly angry and upset.  Nobody
wanted to say anything to the guy though.  Later in the day he stopped over
for a visit and I just very nicely relayed to him the information that people
were really mad about the generator.  HE got ANGRY and said that he wouldn't
stay where he wasn't welcome.  Proceeded to throw all his stuff in the
gooseneck, packed up the generator and left in a huff.  The whole
neighborhood cheered and I was something of the heroine of the hour :)
Funniest thing was that the next day I was walking up the road to the vet-in
area and long before I saw it I could hear that generator running.  His new
neighbors didn't look any happier than the old ones :))

Sylvia