RE: RE: RE: Calling All LD Riders

At 02:39 PM 08/24/2000 -0700, Salim Nice wrote:
>.  I have doubts
>that the percentage of LD horses within the 48-60 month range is all that
>high anyway.

I don't think any were under 5 at DVE last year.  It was a
25/25/35/30.  Can't tell by the online database (horse ages), but looks to
me like any horse I looked up (that I didn't already know was older) had
done rides for a year or two before that one, so obviously were at least 5.

It does seem like more and more multidays are also starting to sanction LD
rides.  I think AERC's position should be that 4 year old horses not do
more than one day of any particular multiday.  I don't know of any 5 day
rides (in the western US) that have sanctioned LD's all 5 days.  You're
right though, I don't think many people would even consider taking a 4 year
old horse on a multiday LD ride.  I think this is probably something that
should have been resolved before they (AERC) ever allowed
sanctioning.  Probably trivial for most, but we have had people riding 4
year olds in 50's (and 3 year olds in LD's).  I don't have a problem with a
rule that only serves to protect young horses.