Biltmore Revisited

Ellen Tully et-albert@msn.com
Remember me folks; I had the tie up at VC1?  Thanks for all the good responses.  I ran blood the other day.  Also ran a Thyroid test as a farrier/race horse owner said sometimes tying-up has to do with thyroid.

The results were .7  Normal range is 1.5 - 4.5

My vet (who is a great lameness vet, but not an endurance vet), suggested putting the horse on Thyro-l, a supplement of Levethyroxine Sodium.  In a addition, reducing the carbohydrate intake (horse doesn't get anything but pasture, mixed hay and was getting 1 lb 10% sweet feed and beet pulp).

Here's my question: How will this effect him?  The warning on the label states:Administer with caution to animals with clinically significant heart disease (not my case), hypertension (he's an Arab!), or other complications for which a sharply increased metabolic rate might prove hazardous (this is the part that worries me!!!).

Any responses will be appreciated.  Even if you have a horse on thyroid medication and compete, please send me your posts, thanks, Ellen.