Re: RC: downhill at speed

In a message dated 1/9/00 6:40:13 PM Pacific Standard Time, laneyh@mbay.net
writes:

<< Dot Wiggins suggestion to watch "Man from Snow River"reminded me of a
local trail we call "the Snowy River trail" because it includes a VERY steep
(i.e., almost vertical) slope about 50' long (forest loam, no rocks but it
does have one sharp turn). >>

Reminds me of a ride we used to have in this area called The Dam Ride.  Gene
Nance used to put it on.  When he first started it, I still lived in Idaho,
and he said he had a bet on that NO ONE would ride down one section of the
trail.  I told him I would, but it was three years before I got over to that
ride.  I asked him if the bet was still on, and he said "NO WAY for you,
because I've SEEN you ride downhill!"  Sure enough, I rode down it and picked
up about 15 places in the process.  That was on my old stallion Surrabu.  I
also watched The Man From Snowy River in the theater with Gene and
Marney--when the downhill scene came on, Gene leaned over to me and
whispered, "Where did they find a Surrabu son to play that part??"  Gene had
bought two Surrabu daughters from me (full sisters to Junior), and they went
downhill like greased eels, too.

Surrabu fractured a sesamoid in a front leg when he was 16.  He eventually
healed sound but always had a bit of a limited range of motion in that leg.
He came back at 18 to do 5 rides, all Top Tens, and one win.  The one place
that he was not impaired at all was going downhill, which was what originally
made me really start to think that the old concept that there was more
breakover and stress in the front was bunk if the horse really got under
himself.  His one win at 18 came on a really nasty, rainy 60-miler--we left
several horses at the last vet check and got out with a lead due to a fast
pulse recovery, but had a younger, more flexible critter make a run at us
right at the end.  The younger horse had passed us by about 3 lengths on a
logging road when the trail dove off of a wet clay bank to hook up with an
old skid trail.  The other horse hesitated, and Surrabu literally shouldered
around him, flung himself out into space and hit the clay bank halfway down,
perfectly level in the back with his rear under him, and slid all the way to
the bottom like a QH stopping in an arena.  Then he took off at a run down
this slippery, slidy little skid trail, "pole-bending" through the new
growth.  The finish timer said that Bu kept opening up more and more of a
lead on that sweet young thing all the way to the finish--I think we ended up
winning by about 100 yards.  Once he hit those downhills, that old front leg
ceased to be a limiting factor...

Heidi

PS:  Yes, Tom, there are likely "safer" pastimes, and I'm not sure I'd have
the cojones to do that now--OTOH, as I recall, I didn't have much choice in
the matter, and I figured at the time that trying to stop him was about as
safe as slamming on the brakes on black ice...  Golly, that was back before I
owned a helmet, too!