Re: RE: Re: panacur

Hi Marlene

> Can the "purging" of the larvae cause a colic in the same way as the
"natural" exodus of the larvae?  The reason I ask, is that one of my horses
just colicked (first experience ever) and we don't know the reason for sure.

Yes, there is always this risk but in a horse who has been subject to a
regular deworming program the risk is less than for a horse who has never
been dewormed in his life.

Much of the bad press for Equest resulted initially from its being very
efficient and so some horses dewormed with this wormer colicked because the
dead adult worms caused blockages.  This and the idiots who were dosing very
young foals with whole syringues of Equest.........!!!

> There is new green grass, but very little and he's been on it before in
the  spring.  I kind of suspect worms even though he's been on a regular
worming  program, because his coat is ugly (both the geldings have ugly
coats and the  mares don't???) and they have good diets.

This symptom, rough hair coat, is classic for this type of investation.
Can't explain why your mares don't share the problem except to say that
different horses have different levels of immunity to worms.  Some
individuals can carry a very heavy burden and still look terrific.  They
look less terrific when they're dead from colic.

> So I'm wondering if we should try  this panacur - but is it too late?
Will using it now cause problems as the larvae are purged

No its not too late and again, yes there is a risk, you need to keep a
careful eye on them during the 5 days.

 >assuming that is a problem for these horses?

Sure, which is why a blood test might be worth while to confirm that
encysted larvae are the problem.  Could be gastric ulcers, the rough coat
symptom is classic for this problem as well.

  BTW, would signs of these red worms show up in a fecal sample - we had one
done, but  haven't got the results back.

No because the larvae are still inside the horse but if the fecal count
shows a heavy red worm infestation then you should worry.

The big problem is that ivermectin has (quite rightly) been hailed as the
wonder dewormer for some years now but it is not efficient against encysted
larvae.  So everyone who is using an ivermectin-only dewormer program could
be at risk.  Of course all these worm problems are dependent also on the
cleanliness or otherwise of your pasture.

Hope this helps.

Heather