Spread sheets and data organisation

I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention but I recall that Michael
Maul et al were doing some data organising for AERC or something. I have
been given the first vet sheets and so on from our 20 km ride to put in to a
data base and would be abjectly grateful for any suggestions. I have Office
2000 and use Excel in some pretty mindless fashions for other things. I
figure I could make it up as I go along, but help from smarter, more
experienced people (yeah, I know that those can be mutually exclusive
categories, but I'm assuming the best) would not go amiss.
TIA
Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg